Friday, January 28, 2011

DIY Necklace Organizer


Home made birthday presents are quickly becoming my favorite thing.

At Christmas, when I mentioned to John that I'd like to take up a musical instrument, he designed and built the world's greatest music stand:

So awesome.












So for Birthday Week, John devoted a day to helping me build a jewelry organizer. The idea came from here, which is another one of my favorite place on the Internet. (Also just found out that she's related to Jordan of Oh Happy Day. Aesthetic perfection in the genes. Must be nice.) But I didn't have a cool vintage frame like she did, and since it's currently -20 degrees in the District of Columbia, chances of me finding a fabulous yard sale any time soon are not good. So we had to build our own.

We started with raw moulding board from a home improvement store:


John took it to a wood shop to cut it, but I think you could do the same thing at home with a hand saw and some careful measuring to make sure all the inside and outside lengths matched up.


Then we stapled it together on the back to make a frame:



(Sorry about the bad lighting. I got lazy and took all these pictures with an iPhone.)

Then we stained it blue with some easy rub-on wood stain. Then took a piece of pegboard and covered it with printed paper:



Then stuck some Anthro knobs through the paper:


And then cut said Anthro knobs short with a pair of bolt cutters.

We stapled it together and that was it!


(Note: The necklace on the far left was made for my wedding by the ever-fabulous Sola Biu: her site and blog. Everything she makes is beautiful and 15 percent goes to Invisible Children.)

So I know that doesn't have anything to do with dinner parties, but I thought a DIY project would be good at a time when so many people are snowed in. New dinner decorations coming soon.

8 comments:

  1. umm...please keep the DIY and any future yard sale victories coming, cause I'm kind of loving these ideas you're dishing out, C. Love that John is such a handy hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps. where did you find the print paper you used? I'm wanting to re-cover a red chest I found at a yard sale last year and am wondering what to use. Any suggestions? I was thinking maybe fabric or wall paper would be pretty durable. Maybe I'll have to send you a pic of the chest to get your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Really nice. Well done, the two of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even if >struggle for self-control, ultimately lost< it does look like John was framed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey AA! We got the paper from Paper Source. I've always wanted to cover the inside of a dresser's drawers with old sheet music. (I'm sure there's a varnish out there that wouldn't destroy the paper when you applied it.) I guess that doesn't really help with covering the outside. You could sand it down and then re-paint and cover just the top with a cool wall paper or maybe a pattern in ceramic or glass tiles. I'll keep thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WHY WOULDN'T YOU TELL ME ABOUT THIS1?!? WHY?!

    ReplyDelete